Tuesday, April 6, 2010

On your mark, get set, go . . .

Getting ready to run for the long jump.
Huddling to keep warm while watching the boys compete in the long jump.
The starting line of the medley relay. Katy ran the first 100 yards.
Celebrating 3rd place with her team.

Katy participated in her first track meet earlier today. The Adams team, composed of 5th and 6th graders, competed against 3 other elementary schools and it was pretty exciting to watch. Katy chose 3 events: the running long jump, the 800 and the medley relay. She earned a 2nd place ribbon in the 800 and a 3rd in the relay. The long jump proved to be a good "learning experience." After that one, The 6th grade girls who placed in the event offered Katy encouragement and tips for a better jump in the future.
I will have to let Katy give you her 2 cents on how it all went. I will tell you I was soo proud of her, especially in the 800. I don't think she had any idea how long that race was when she offered to run it. She completed the first lap and was shocked when they told her she had one more lap to go. If you could have seen me running the length of the field (200 yards) yelling " Go baby--go Katy!" while trying not to kill myself or any of the bystanders, you would have had a really good laugh. To add adventure to my own little spectacle, I was wearing my Klogs. So not suitable for running on an elementary school grass field. I was really pleased, though, to see other members of the team yelling out to and encouraging Katy as she rallied to finish the race. Sometimes those students make me crazy at work, but their team spirit was, well, awesome!!!

Katy has another meet this Thursday, one next week and one on the 21st. I'll let her do a bit of guest commentary so she and I will keep you posted on her progress!

Enjoy your week. I think I need to go and soak my feet now. . .

No comments: