Today, Katy auditioned for a play to be shown in Nampa. It is being put on by the Missoula Children's Theatre. They sponsor a tour that travels the country, sets up shop in a town for a week and then stages a play using local children. It was her first acting audition. She had to try out for the Nutcracker few years ago, but that was ballet. This one was a group audition. 114 children, ranging in age from 5-18, participated. It took over 2 hours to complete. They were casting for "The Pied Piper."
Unbeknownst to me, "The Pied Piper" is being staged as a musical! I am not sure that I ever thought of that particular story in that light. Anyway, as I have mentioned before, we do not have singing voices in this house. Katy was relieved to hear that she would be singing in a small group. The directors then walked by and listened to each kid as they all sang together. After a few rounds of group activities, the results were announced. She was not cast in the "Pied Piper" but in the opening number called the "Limelight Show." It is called "Hip Hop Barn Dance" and I think it is a musical/dance/play(the emphasis being on a group performance, I believe.) I knew ahead of time that no matter what, everyone would be given a part in one of the productions. The directors did not tell the kids until they were ready to call out names. Katy was pretty excited. It was a win/win for her. She was able to see how other children auditioned. Although Katy is not that timid, she noticed that the people who got the main parts were very vocal and very willing to act a bit silly and /or overly dramatic to stand out from the crowd. Katy also has a quiet voice. Try as she might, she just could not yell like some of those kids.
We now face a pretty intense rehearsal schedule for this week. We'll be driving to Nampa every night. The show is Saturday, and her group will perform 3 times that day! Should be a great learning experience for her. I'll let you know how it goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment