This past week was definitely a learning experience for her. She found out it is no fun being one of the oldest in a group of over 60 kids. Lots of younger kids with no self-control. She also discovered that "Limelight show" meant learning a song & dance routine that lasted all of 8 minutes. No lines to memorize--"not real acting" as Katy put it. She came out of one rehearsal and said she was so embarrassed to have to do the routine. That is when I had to pull out the "You have made a commitment and I already bought reserved tickets" speech. I know she was really wishing she was in the main production and I think that drove her emotions. We worked out a compromise. She would finish the week and take part in the first 2 shows. If she chose not to participate in the final performance, it would be okay. Not showing up would not impact the routine. It was pretty much a free-style dance.
Saturday morning arrived and we drove out to Nampa. She had a 1 1/2 hour dress rehearsal before the first performance. Seeing everyone in costume seemed to help. She was dressed as a farmer. Other were dressed as cowboys. Grammy had joined us by now and was able to see both shows. As the music started, Grammy mentioned that the song was from the musical "Oklahoma!" (I had no idea. Haven't seen that one. Guess I better check it out at the library.) Anyway, it was "The Farmer and the Cowman Should be Friends." It was cute. The group then "decided" to get along and they all sang and danced to the 80's song, "Lean on Me." That is how it was the "Hip Hop Barn Dance." It all made a little more sense to me now!
By the time we watched Katy and then the "Pied Piper," she decided it was not completely horrible. It helped to hear the facility director say that her own daughter had tried out for this theater company on 6 different occasions before landing a speaking part. Katy also really enjoyed the director of her show. The director, Ms. Leta, lives in Nampa but works for a theater/arts group in Boise. Ms. Leta gives private voice lessons and also directs drama classes/camps for youth. We were able to chat with her that evening after the third performance and she offered Katy some words of encouragement. I hope to look her up here in Boise and get the girls started in a few activities.
I am pleased that Katy followed through with her commitment. It was not what she envisioned, but she is now glad to have participated.
I should also mention Emma's commitment. She had to come with us to every rehearsal and she did so without complaint. It may have helped that I bribed her with a night at the Rollerdrome. Wednesday evening was "Cheap Skate," so while Katy did her thing, Emma and I rolled around the rink for an hour. Too much fun! I wish there was a rink in Boise.
No comments:
Post a Comment