Friday, April 23, 2010

Fun Friday!

The cake. I meant for this photo to be at the end, but I still can't figure a few things out on the blog!


Emma and her friends getting the lowdown on how to decorate the bulletin boards.
Myra, Emma's very first friend. Her mom owned Gibson & Lane, the fancy store I used to work at in downtown Boise.
Jess, a super sweet classmate from school and the birthday girl in her "I am the Birthday Queen" hat!
Margaret and Hattie. Margaret lives in our neighborhood and her older sister, Gabby, is one of Katy's good friends. Hattie and Emma have known each other since pre-school.
The finished product!

We had a fun Friday last week. Emma's party was on the 16th and and I am just now getting to the post.

In case you do not have kids in your house, you might not know that you can pay some pretty awesome woman at Michaels a small fee and she will host a party for your craft crazy daughter. All I had to do was purchase the materials needed for the project Emma picked out--decorating a bulletin board. Patty, the aforementioned "awesome woman," supplied us with invitations, glue, party decorations, and the room to have it in. She also did the set up and clean up, exhibiting an amazing amount of patience along the way.

After the guests arrived (Grammy and Katy also joined us), the girls were asked to decorate the tables with marker drawings and to sign a poster for Emma. Then it was time to let the crafting begin. Everyone had a lot of fun picking out decorations and adding them to their own board. They went through a lot of ribbon and stickers! While they finished up the project, I ran across the parking lot and bought Happy Meals for the guests. Emma still enjoys McDonalds, but to make it a little more healthy, I brought a plate of strawberries. Eric even dipped a dozen in "pink" chocolate. Pretty tasty treats. After the food, we had cake and ice cream. I made a cake to Emma's specification--yellow cake with yellow frosting and flowers. I am not a great decorator, so I had to improvise with the flowers. They are made out of marshmallows and gumdrops. It was kind of fun to make and it didn't taste all that bad!

Oh, one of the cool things that Patty did was take everyone on a tour of the store. I missed this as I was at McDonald's. I guess they looked at a few departments, checked out the "employee only" area and hauled their trash to the compacter. Emma got to push the button. It was the first thing she told me when I returned with the food! My favorite part was watching Emma listen to her friends sing "Happy Birthday" over the store intercom. She giggled and nearly fell to the floor trying to "hide." Too funny!

A big thank you needs to go out to Grammy and Katy. They helped with crowd control and bathroom escorting. Thanks a bunch!

After 2 hours, it was time to head home. Everyone had such a good time! It was truly a fun Friday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Holy Flowers!!! What a great day for Emma. Nice to see how much Myra and Margaret have grown too. Nice artwork and sounds like so much fun. Maybe I could plan Papa's birthday at Michaels? What do you think? No, it just isn't him, but I would love it!

Sorry to have missed such a great birthday, Emma.
Love ya,
Grandma

Laurie Chilcers said...

Rhonda,
The cake looks great! Nice flowers and sounds delicious. xoxoxo

Laurie

Hilburns said...

Next time you are here, we girls can go to Michaels. Papa and Eric can hang out and do yard work or play on the Wii! I'm sure we will have more fun . . .