Saturday, June 5, 2010

School's out!!!!

This was a shot from the first day of school. Why do I never take one on the last day . . ?


Yesterday was the last day of school for Katy & Emma. It seems as though they were ready for summer but sad to leave their friends. Both had end of year field trips to keep them busy. Emma spent her last day of school at the BSU bowling alley. She had the high score in her little group. I think she said it was 95. (Better than my best score, that is for sure!) After bowling, the class returned to Adams to eat Subway sandwiches and drink orange soda. It seems the high score and the fact she drank an entire can of soda made her day. Those were the only details I got without prying. . .

On Wednesday, Katy rode a bus with all of the Adams fifth-graders to the Bruneau Sand Dunes. One of the highlights of her trip was that she hiked to the top of the tallest dune. According to her teacher, it is 470 feet high! Quite a workout. Katy's last day was spent watching a movie, The Great Escape, signing yearbooks, having a pizza party and just enjoying that frantic energy that comes with saying goodbye to your classmates for the summer. The thought of returning to Adams in August as a 6th grader is pretty thrilling to her! She can hardly wait. It is good to be at the "top" before the reality of junior high smacks you in the face the next year!

As for me, I am so glad to be ending my short career as the "Duty"! (Now I can just yell at my own kids for the rest of my life. That is clearly the more acceptable option-- and way more rewarding.) In case I forgot to mention it to anyone within earshot, I have been accepted into the Preprofessional SLP Program(PrePro) at ISU. I have chosen to do the first year online. Registration went smoothly and I will start on August 23. I'll have four online courses and one "regular" class. I will take that one, Basic Sign Language, in Meridian on Tuesday nights. I am very excited to get this all started. Next spring, I will apply to the Masters program. If accepted, I will go to school for two more academic years, including 2 eight-week summer sessions. It will be a lot of work, but I think the family and I are up to the challenge!

Here's to a wonderful summer!

P.S. Katy's class watched The Great Escape because they had just studied WWI and II.

No comments: