Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"Sipping Chicken Soup With Rice . . ."



It was cold, rainy day in Boise and I was feeling all chicken soup-ish for dinner.  I had the perfect recipe in mind.  A few years ago, my friend Heather introduced me to a fabulous blog, For the Love of Cooking.  The site has rarely failed me and if anything has gone awry, it's usually me failing the recipe!  With Pam's help, I have been able to make meals that satisfy the entire family.  My favorite recipes often involve soup--so easy to make and generally hard to overcook.  (Eric often lovingly reminds me that "burnt is just another flavor!")  Emma's favorite is "Creamy Chicken Soup and Rice".  As soon as I decided to make that particular soup for dinner tonight, the song in the video clip began to drift through my head.  It has been stuck there all day.  I love, love, love the song.  The clip is from a movie/TV special made by Maurice Sendak and Carole King entitled "Really Rosie". (I am not entirely certain that was the name of the special.)  I used to check out the CD and Video from the library when Katy and Emma were much younger--great songs that were infinitely more entertaining than some of the "music" that was peddled to our children.   (I am referring specifically to "The Wiggles"-- yikes!!)  
In honor of our chicken soup-ish dinner, I set the laptop on the kitchen table and we watched/ listened to several of the videos while enjoying our meal!  "Happy once, happy twice, Happy chicken soup with rice . . ."

2 comments:

Heather C. said...

I always get that refrain stuck in my head! "...sipping chicken soup with rice!" And I too am loving that food blog. She is so nice to do all the work and let the rest of us benefit from it!

Hilburns said...

Agreed! My family thanks you for introducing me to her blog!